Assistive school supplies make academic tasks easier.
Did you know that you can purchase assistive school supplies for your child with disabilities? These assistive supplies are designed to make learning easier on a child. How? By making a task that could be a major struggle, such as holding a pen or pencil, much easier. Just what types of assistive school supplies are available?
Types of assistive school supplies
There are several different adaptive school supplies items; here are just a few:
– “The Gripper” — This item fits on a pen or pencil and allows a child to have more writing/holding control. It also “provides relief from cramps and compensates for grasp limitations.” The Gripper can be purchased in varying sizes to fit onto other utensils.
– “The Squiggle Wiggle Writer” – Does your child require tactile stimulation? If so, the Squiggle Wiggle Writer might be the perfect choice of pen for your child. A battery operated item, “It turns straight lines into loops, circles, or curves.”
– “Wanchik’s Pediatric Writer” – Have you seen this adaptive item that fits on a child’s hand and ensures a pen/pencil stays in place? Wanchik’s Pediatric Writer is the ideal accessible school item for kids with weakness in their hands, fingers, and/or wrists.
– “Pediatric Universal Weighted Holder” – This item is somewhat like a gripper as it makes pencils and pens more easy to be held. But the Weighted Holder has the added benefit of weight, meaning it may serve individuals with “trembling hands” well.
– “The Twist-n-Write Pencil” – This is an ideal pencil for a school age child with disabilities. There is no need for sharpening, and it is very easy to grip. Why? Because “it offers an ergonomic, wishbone design that promotes an efficient ‘tripod’ grasp.”
Thinking about investing in the assistive school supplies listed above? Visit http://www.thewright-stuff.com/5-adapted-back-to-school-writing-accessories/ to learn more.
Does your school-age child have a disability? Does he or she use assistive school supplies?
Does your son or daughter use any special supplies for school success? Let us know by commenting on this post. Don’t forget to tell us what supplies are your child’s favorites and why.
*Please note: All research for this article is compiled from direct and third party sources. Mention of programs, organizations and companies does not imply support of The National Benefit Authority. Pictures are for creative purposes only; they are not intended to sell or promote products for the NBA and belong to the accredited individual, organization or company.