Did you know that Canada’s BC Centre for Ability helps people with disabilities prepare for employment? It’s true! The BC Centre for Ability does this through its Opportunities Fund Program (OPPS Fund).
What is the opportunities fund program?
The BC Centre for Ability’s Opportunities Fund Program helps Canadians in practical ways. The program “assists persons with disabilities to prepare for employment or self-employment and to develop the skills necessary to maintain new employment.” It specifically does this by providing…
– Necessary workplace accommodations
– Employer incentives
– A competitive edge by giving someone “an opportunity to gain valuable work-related skills”
What are some other benefits of the OPPS Fund Program?
One of the main benefits of the BC Centre for Ability’s program is financial assistance. The Opportunities Fund Program provides financial assistance for…
- Training for self-employment
- Living expenses
- “Disability supports such as adaptive equipment and workplace accommodations”
- Child care
- Dependent care
- “A wage subsidy paid to an employer as an incentive to train”
Are you eligible for the OPPS Fund Program?
In order to be a part of the BC Centre for Ability’s Opportunities Fund Program, a person must…
– Be disabled permanently
– Be allowed to work in Canada
– Be unemployed OR underemployed (20 hours of work per week or less)
– Not be receiving Employment Insurance Benefits (or have received them within the past three years)
– Reside in one of the following locations: “Metro Vancouver Region, including Pemberton/Whistler, Sunshine Coast, Howe Sound Corridor, West Vancouver (and Bowen Island), North Vancouver (City & District), Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, Belcarra, Anmore, Port Moody, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Mission, New Westminster, Delta, Surrey, Langley, White Rock, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Hope, or Boston Bar.”
Do you meet these qualifications? If so, you might be able to be a part of the Opportunities Fund Program!
Do you want to be part of the BC Centre for Ability’s Opportunities Fund Program?
If your answer is yes, you will need a referral from a case manager. Learn about this and more at www.Imer.ca and www.oppsfund.ca. You can also call 604-451-5511 to speak to someone about this program.
*Please note: All research for this article is compiled from direct and third party sources. Mention of programs, organizations and companies does not imply support of The National Benefit Authority. Pictures are for creative purposes only; they are not intended to sell or promote products for the NBA and belong to the accredited individual, organization or company.
Let’s Talk About It
Could you benefit from a program that is designed to help you prepare for employment?
Do you meet the eligibility requirements for the BC Centre for Ability’s Opportunities Fund Program? If so, is there anything holding you back from getting more information about the program?